The European Commission has analysed the data related to the impact of the exports of 4 categories of agricultural products on the EU market.
It has concluded that thanks to the work of the Coordination Platform and to the temporary measures introduced on 2 May 2023, the market distortions in the 5 Member States bordering Ukraine have disappeared.
A constructive attitude of all participants in the platform helped to solve concrete problems and ensured that exports to third countries outside the EU are flowing and even increasing.
As a result, it has been agreed that:
- Existing measures will expire today.
- Ukraine has agreed to introduce any legal measures (including, for example, an export licensing system) within 30 days to avoid grain surges.
- Until then, Ukraine is to put in place from 16.09.2023 effective measures to control the export of 4 groups of goods in order to prevent any market distortions in the neighbouring Member States. Ukraine will submit an Action Plan to the platform no later than close-of-business on Monday 18 September 2023.
- The European Commission and Ukraine will monitor the situation via the platform to be able to react to any unforeseen situations.
- The European Commission will refrain from imposing any restrictions as long as the effective measures by Ukraine are in place and fully working.
The European Union has been acting resolutely and effectively to support the export of Ukrainian grains and other foodstuffs, notably though the Solidarity Lanes. The success of this work led to temporary distortions in the markets of the five Member States that share a border with Ukraine, leading on 2 May 2023 to the imposition of temporary restrictive measures on a series of Ukrainian foodstuff exports. In parallel, a coordination Platform was set up, bringing together Ukraine, Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Slovakia and the European Commission. It contributed to develop infrastructure and increasing logistical capacity, as well as removing administrative barriers to the export of agricultural products from Ukraine.